The Technical Skills Certificate is the latest initiative by the Royal Society of Biology, which follows on from the successful launch of the Industry Skills Certificate in 2019. This certificate is designed to support the career development of technical staff working in higher education, industry or in a private laboratory.
The courses which make up the certificate have been selected based on the results of a survey circulated among the technical community. The key skills identified were reinforced by advice from the RSB’s Employer Advisory Group (EAG). EAG is a direct interface between employers/industry and the Royal Society of Biology, which allows us to understand industry requirements better.
We know that technical staff make it happen and facilities would struggle to function effectively without their expertise and experience. The Royal Society of Biology fully supports the Technician Commitment and this certificate aims to support the career development and recognition of technical staff. The Technical Skills Certificate is also an objective in the Royal Society of Biology Technician Action Plan.
The Technical Skills certificate supports applicants working towards Registered Science Technician (RSciTech) status by supporting development in one or more of the following competency areas:
- Application of knowledge and understanding
- Personal responsibility
- Interpersonal skills
- Professional practice
- Professional standards
Participants can register with the RSB’s CPD scheme to further develop their skills and keep a record of their progress. If your role is technical or you are an aspiring technician, then this is the perfect programme to learn new skills or to up-skill in areas you have an interest in.
To achieve the certificate, you must undertake a minimum of five courses within a 12-month period, including one compulsory course. You can begin at any time by enrolling in your first course. Once you have completed your chosen courses you will be required to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to verify your participation and to be awarded your Technical Skills Certificate.
Some courses are currently in development and require you to 'register your interest' to complete at a later date.
Compulsory course to be taken:
At least four courses must be taken from:
- Train the Trainer - register interest (date tbc)
- Leadership in a Laboratory Environment
- Cell/Tissue Culture: The Basics - register interest (date tbc)
- Laboratory Health & Safety (and COSHH)
- The Light Microscope: All you need to Know - register interest (date tbc)
- Experimental Design in the Bioscience Laboratory - register interest (date tbc)
- Aseptic Technique - register interest (date tbc)
- Laboratory Math’s - register interest (date tbc)
- The Basics of Immunoassays - register interest (date tbc)
Online courses (via myLearning)
- Introduction to Project Management
- Laboratory Equipment Maintenance - register interest
- Mental Health First Aid - register interest
The fee will vary based on the courses you select and whether or not you are a member of the Royal Society of Biology.
If you are an organisation and would like to register staff in bulk for this certificate, or require any further information please contact our training and development officer or call 0203 925 3453.