The Industry Skills Certificate is a new initiative by the Royal Society of Biology, designed to support the employability of scientists into industry, either for the first time or from academia. The certificate will recognise a set of skills and knowledge gained through the participation in online and in-person training courses, which in addition to existing qualifications, can support a career move into industry.
Extensive research and advice from the RSB's Employer Advisory Group (EAG) has determined the courses we have selected for this certificate. EAG is a direct interface between employers/industry and the Royal Society of Biology, which allows us to understand industry requirements better.
The Industry Skills Certificate supports applicants working towards Registered Scientist (RSci) status by supporting development in one or more of the following competency areas:
- Application of knowledge and understanding
- Personal responsibility
- Interpersonal skills
- Professional practice
- Professional standards
Participants can register with the RSB’s CPD scheme to further develop their skills and keep a record of their progress. If you are a PhD student, early career researcher or postdoctoral researcher, then this is the perfect programme to learn new skills or to upskill in areas you have an interest in.
To achieve the certificate, you must undertake a minimum of five courses within a 12-month period, including one compulsory course. You can begin at any time by enrolling in your first course. Once you have completed your chosen courses you will be required to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to verify your participation and to be awarded your Industry Skills Certificate.
Some courses are currently in development and require you to 'register your interest' to complete at a later date.
Compulsory course to be taken:
At least four courses must be taken from:
- Programming for Biologists
- Introduction to Reproducible Analyses in R
- Navigating the Patent System for Biologists (register interest - date tbc)
- Train the Trainer (register interest - date tbc)
- Quality Management (register interest - date tbc)
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning for Biological Application (register interest - date tbc)
- Copyright Awareness for Researchers (register interest - date tbc)
- Media Communication Training
- An Introduction to Pharmacokinetics in Drug Development (register interest - date tbc)
Online courses (via myLearning)
- Introduction to Project Management
- Personal Skills for Leadership
- Core Business Skills for Biologists
The fee will vary based on the courses you select and whether or not you are a member of the Royal Society of Biology.
If you are an organisation and would like to register staff in bulk for this certificate, or require any further information please contact our training and development officer or call 0203 925 3453.