Studentships & Placements
Placements should be valuable to both the individual and the organisation. They may be integrated into your degree course as industrial placements, or you may do them outside of your studies as summer placements.
In some cases you can receive bursaries and grants in order to support your placement. The Society no longer offers Undergraduate Research Bursaries, but many of our Member Organisations offer support for research based placements as undergraduate studentships. They can also offer support in the form of bursaries and awards to attend conferences related to their discipline.
Benefits to Students
They can provide you with:
- Exciting challenges
- Hand-on experience
- New knowledge
- A more informed insight into a specific career path
- Experience of a work environment and work ethos
- More coherent ideas about how organisations work which will stand out in interviews
- A great addition to your CV
What do they look for in applicants?
- Enthusiasm. It is a must!
- The abilitiy to add something to the project
- Will they gain something themselves from the project if they hire you?
- If (from your interview) you will fit into their work environment