- 23 July 2014
BBSRC and the Medical Research Council (MRC), in association with the Society of Biology, are holding a consultation with the UK bioscience and medical science research communities regarding emerging or existing strategic research skills and capabilities that are vulnerable or potentially vulnerable.
The two Research Councils will use the information from the survey to help identify whether there are any research skills requiring strengthening and if so, what interventions would have maximum benefit.
Vulnerability may be due to a number of reasons, including:
- A small or decreasing number of individuals with expertise in a particular area, with or without adequate succession planning
- Limited training opportunities for individuals
- The lack of career paths to preserve skills
- New and emerging areas of research
- Local changes in support for areas without due consideration of the wider impact
The survey is accessible online and all information submitted will be treated in confidence.
The survey comprises of seven questions and responses are welcomed from universities, groups, organisations or other representative bodies from across the bioscience and medical science sectors. Responses from individuals are not required.
The survey will close on 5th September 2014.